Friday, February 12, 2010

So let's talk about basics. Grilling basics that is.


We all know there is a difference between BBQing and grilling. The true BBQ folks are actually smoking their food. However, Ed Mitchell, the guy who beat Bobby Flay, for the BBQ ribs Throwdown, does his on a hot grill and cooks for less than one hour. No smoking for him. I too do not smoke my ribs. I actually bake them in the oven first, and then finish them with sauce on the grill. The big secret is to make a rub and after applying the rub, let the ribs marinate in the rub overnight. Sounds crazy, but if you want the rub to get into the meat, it is essential to do the overnight process. Next, after you bake the ribs, let them sit on the counter for about one hour.  I truly believe it is the same principal as letting meat rest. The juices in the ribs get back into the meat with an overnight resting. Finally, before you grill the ribs and apply your sauce (never start cooking your ribs with sauce on them), they will burn and burn and burn unless you have NO sugars in the sauce, bring the ribs up to room temperature. They should stay out for a least 1 hour before grilling. I will share my big grill BBQ (mesquite and charcoal cooking) tips in the my next posting. Here is a picture of my Santa Maria grill - two grills, both adjustable.

If you want to learn more about Ed Mitchell, visit his site
http://www.thepit-raleigh.com/pitstory.php

No comments:

Post a Comment